I have experimented with a few different recipes to get the right flavor, texture, and thickness of buttercream and so far this one has been my favorite!
If you’re wanting a “whiter” looking buttercream, this recipe is good because it uses half butter, half shortening. Super simple, and easy to whip up. I usually end up making two batches for one 8 inch 3 layer cake.
You will need:
1/2 cup salted butter (room temp)
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use clear vanilla extract to keep the color white)
1. Combine the butter and shortening in mixer until smooth consistency
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth
3. Add the vanilla extract and milk and mix until smooth
4. Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth
5. Add more milk if you want a thinner consistency
What’s great about this recipe is you can change the flavoring easy. For example, switch the vanilla extract to a different extract to mix things up. Or add 1/2 cup cocoa powder to get a chocolate icing!